Part of the huge success of Carers Week is that so many organisations and individuals get behind the campaign offering their support, time and ideas to create a real buzz about caring.
This year over 2,600 organisations took part in Carers Week. A wide range of organisations registered including local carers’ groups, charities and local voluntary organisations, GP surgeries, local authorities, NHS services, hospital, hospitals, day care centres and residential care homes. Hundreds of employers also got involved too to highlight to their staff how they try to support them with their caring role.
Organising events and activities
Putting on an event at your place of work, in your community or in partnership with other organisations is a great way to participate in Carers Week. Any event can also be used to generate publicity and identify what you are doing to celebrate and support unpaid carers.
Depending on the type of organisation you could consider putting on some or all of the following:
- Set up an information stand or sessions or organise a window display – vacant retail space can be the ideal place for this.
- Display stands at local community organisations and libraries with Carers Week materials and information about your services can also be a really effective way of raising awareness of your services.
- Plan a party, meal, BBQ or picnic for carers and their families. Quiz nights can also be a great way to recognise carers.
- Invite health and social care professionals to a Question Time session – where carers can get advice and information on the key issues.
- Put on a Take Care of Yourself Day for carers. This could include a programme of aromatherapy, stress management, relaxation techniques, nutrition advice and massage.
- Organise an outing or a day trip for carers such as a visit to the countryside, seaside or local town or city.
- Plan an open day at your organisation if you provide services for carers or the people they care for. If you do not have space think about hiring premises or finding out if there are other Carers Week events happening nearby you can go to.
Throughout the UK around 10,000 events and activities took place right across the UK.